HELP! (What's wrong with this sh scr - (nf)

rpw3 at fortune.UUCP rpw3 at fortune.UUCP
Thu Apr 26 19:06:21 AEST 1984

#R:eneevax:-11200:fortune:26900052:000:849
fortune!rpw3    Apr 25 23:31:00 1984

Re: X$var vs. "$var"

(*blush*)
Oops, seems I am exhibiting what has been called "programmer's superstition".

Back when I was learning the Shell for the first time, somebody
showed me the X$var style, and I learned it that way. Having
just tried null (but present) strings on both the "if" and the "case"
commands (yes, they work), I will probably cease this X-ing.

(Question for the net: Is there ANY time where X$var is preferable to "$var"?)

The person who originally demo'd to me was probably just a bit
lazy about typing the quotes (although X$var is not significantly
easier for me to type than "$var"). Or else HE learned it from
the person who taught him... ;-}

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd70,hpda,harpo,sri-unix,allegra}!fortune!rpw3
DDD:	(415)595-8444
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065