Plotting CIF files on Versatec color plotter

flint.wbst at Xerox.ARPA flint.wbst at Xerox.ARPA
Tue Apr 10 05:39:00 AEST 1984

I am looking for information regarding any software, either public
domain or purchasable, which can be used to plot CIF files on a Versatec
color plotter. We currently have a VAX 780 running Unix 4.2BSD which is
used for VLSI design.  I know that the Versatec Universal Color Random
software can be used to write our own software, but would like to avoid
this if an alternative exists.

I know that the Berkeley VLSI tools package contains CIF plot software
for Versatec b/w plotters, but this does its own rasterizing on the VAX
and allows the file to be dumped to the plotter.  I assume that this may
not be as good a solution with the color plotter because of the size of
the plot files and the availability of the Versatec Random Element
Processor for offloading the VAX.

I am also under the impression that the Unibus hardware device (Model
121) is identical for the b/w and color plotters and that a driver for
this is supplied with 4.2BSD Unix.  Has anybody actually used this with
a color plotter as opposed to a b/w plotter?

Any experiences, comments or suggestions are appreciated....

ed flint
Xerox
(716) 422-9407

		flint.wbst at PARC-MAXC            (arpa)
		...seismo!rochester!rocksanne!ed     (uucp)