An odd difference between "cat file" and "cat<file"

Dick Dunn rcd at opus.UUCP
Sat Apr 14 08:52:33 AEST 1984

<in>out

I just stepped in a curious one - "sh", at least here, under 4.2, doesn't
expand wildcards in the "word" following > or < .  Why would I care?  I'm
a lazy typist; I was reaching down about three levels for a file and used a
wildcard with an indirection.  It didn't work.  Example:  suppose that
	ibble/gleep/farkle
exists, and that a unique wildcarding of it is
	ib*/gl*/f*
Then,	cat ib*/gl*/f*
will list the file but
	cat <ib*/gl*/f*
gives	ib*/gl*/f*: no such file or directory

(BTW, did I miss some fine print?  Be this buglet or featurette?  I notice
that sh will do expansions in, say, "cd" where it needs a single filename
which is known to exist.)
--
"A friend of the devil is a friend of mine."		Dick Dunn
{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd				(303) 444-5710 x3086