make and archives - dependency problem

Charles LaBrec crl at pur-phy.UUCP
Tue Apr 17 18:39:01 AEST 1984

"Make" has understood archives since version 7.  If a dependency of
the form "arch(foo.o)" is given, make will look up foo.o in arch.a
and use the modified time inside the archive.  Also available is
a dependency of the form "arch((_foo))" that looks up the entry point
"_foo" in arch.a and uses the modified time of the .o file that contains
it.  (I don't have any documents handy, but with the amount I looked at
Make recently, I think the above is the correct syntax.)

System V Make handles archives even better.

Charles LaBrec
UUCP:		pur-ee!Physics:crl, purdue!Physics:crl
INTERNET:	crl @ pur-phy.UUCP