RE**n: unix command syntax

Ian F. Darwin ian at utcsstat.UUCP
Sat Apr 14 16:34:40 AEST 1984

Paul Placeway (osu-dbs-paul) writes:

	I am setting up a very fancy version of csh and the unix environment as a
	project here at Ohio State, and I have had experience with both Unix(tm AT&T)
	and Tops-20(tm DEC).  One aspect of the project is to clean up the command
	syntax into something rational (single letter flags considered harmful).

	I am submitting this asking for comments (but no "follow the standard"
	please) from any and all.

This is not strictly speaking a "please follow the standard" plea.
It is instead a request that you pick a nice name for your new
system that does not end in -NIX. The reason for this is that,
however nice your might think it is to have long verbose
option names, and however much you like such a system, such a
system is not UNIX. UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Technologies
(sorry, last week's title) to describe a particular system.
If you make wide ranging changes, the system may no longer
be UNIX. Certainly your system as described isn't UNIX, and you
have little to gain by committing the fraud of telling people that it is.

Maybe you could use the term TWUNEX. Or TWINEX (as in binder twine).
--
Ian F. Darwin, Toronto  uucp: utcsstat!ian