Unix files to VMS using cu

Steven M. Haflich smh at mit-eddie.UUCP
Tue Apr 17 09:00:29 AEST 1984

Often I work by modem from home, but lacking a printer, I wrote the
following shell script to ship Unix text files to my wife's VMS shop.
Now she can bring a listing home in the evening along with the bacon.
See, VMS really is good for something!

Create this script in your bin as vmsend and edit it so the <CR> is a
real ascii \015 and the <^Z> is a real ascii \026.  (Obviously I couldn't
send these through the mail.)  Preserve the backslashes in front of the
<CR>'s.  Then run the thing within cu via:
	~$vmssend FILENAME
The command file turns off the local echo in VMS and seems to run fine
at 1200 baud.

Steve Haflich
----------------------------
#! /bin/csh
if ( -r $1 ) then
	echo -n set term/noecho \<CR>
	sleep 2
	echo -n create $1 \<CR>
	sleep 2
	cat $1 | tr '\012' '\015'
	sleep 2
	echo -n <^Z>
	sleep 2
	echo -n set term/echo \<CR>
else
	echo -n Nothing doing -- $1 unreadable \<CR>
endif
echo -n All done \<CR>