Marketing Unix

Gary Perlman gsp at ulysses.UUCP
Sat Aug 4 03:17:37 AEST 1984

Paper.  Sigh.  Paper was invented before interactive systems were developed.
Paper was invented before graphics sstems were developed.  And so on.
I have found paper to be an impovershed medium for explaining systems.
I suggest you try video.  Nothing fancy.  Just get a VCR and a camera
and stick it in front of your terminal and go.  Talk about the file
system and do a few cd's and ls's.  Show how to put a process in the
background and show how you can go on to other tasks.  I can't overstate
the difference between seeing a demo and reading about capabilities.
There is no comparison.

If you do not have a video system, they are not too expensive.
The cheapest recorder with 0 options, a B&W monitor, and an outdated
camera will probably do fine.  I am sorry to have to say that $1500
is the least you can get away with--this make video out of the range
of many sites--but somethng expensive that works is better than
something cheap that does not.