tar .vs. cpio - (nf) - Re: exceeding MAXARGS

John R. Hall-"the samurai MTS" jhall at ihuxu.UUCP
Tue Aug 14 23:11:33 AEST 1984

If Berkeley UNIX has the xargs command, I believe you could use the
following technique to avoid exceeding the MAXARGS parameter (usually
10 blocks default):
	find ...| xargs [options] tar

xargs reads an argument list from standard input, and repeatedly
builds up and executes a command line for the specified command.

xargs is part of System V; it's not in my very old Berkeley UNIX manuals...
--
--John R. Hall, ...ihnp4!ihuxu!jhall "And may your days be celebrations"