How to put comments in nroff/troff s - (nf)

jab at uokvax.UUCP jab at uokvax.UUCP
Mon Aug 6 03:11:00 AEST 1984

#R:druny:-98000:uokvax:6100039:000:901
uokvax!jab    Aug  5 12:11:00 1984

/***** uokvax:net.unix / druny!neal /  4:40 pm  Aug  2, 1984 */
Ok, I give up!  I tried putting ".." at the begining of each line,
but that sometimes leaves bird droppings in my output.
I tried putting '\"' at the beginning of each line, but if I
do that for several lines in a row, a large blank area appears in the
output.

So how do you put a block comment in?
-Neal McBurnett, ihnp4!druny!neal, 303-538-4852
/* ---------- */
This is kinda sick, admittedly.

The \" tells nroff/troff to ignore everything up to the next
newline, but you end up with TWO newline characters in
the nroff/troff input stream after processing the comment.

You need to tell nroff/troff to ignore the fact that we just skipped
a line, which normally would generate a line break, by using
comments as shown below:
'\"	This is a commented line that doesn't generate a
'\"	line break on the output.

	Jeff Bowles
	Lisle, IL