tar .vs. cpio - (nf)

Barry Margolin barmar at mit-eddie.UUCP
Thu Aug 23 14:15:27 AEST 1984

In article <3948 at brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>There is a (relatively small) limit on the total length of
>command line options, typically 5120 bytes.  I have lots of
>archives whose component file names far exceed this limit.

I guess I'm completely spoiled by Multics.  I'm used to command lines
that can take up a 1 megabyte segment and stack frames that can handle
argument lists that have up to 16K parameters (64Kwords/max-stack-frame,
two pointers/parameter, 2 words/pointer).
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar at MIT-Multics