newgrp(1) - inconsistent

The WITNESS bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Aug 7 03:59:11 AEST 1984

Maybe a "sg" command should be supplied, analogous to su.  On our system,
certain users have access to a special group "prckill" which is used only
temporarily (for security reasons on dialup lines) to forcibly logout abusive
public-access users of the system without giving out the root password.  (It
allows use of a root-setuid, group-only execute file.)  Currently, to use it
I use an alias in my csh:

alias drop '(echo "hangup \!*" | newgrp prckill)'

but most users on our system are not willing to put up with the old (2.9?)
csh we have, or for various reasons do not wish to run csh, and it would be
much easier to say "sg prckill -c 'hangup ...'" than to have to play games
with newgrp.
--
		Brandon Allbery: decvax!cwruecmp{!atvax}!bsafw
		  6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131

		  Witness, n.  To watch and learn, joyously.