Marketing Unix/ S1/ Pick and everything

gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA
Fri Aug 10 07:03:51 AEST 1984

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA>

There is obviously no single "right" answer to the question
whether an operating system that provides compatible system
calls but changes everything else is "really UNIX".  Note,
however, that UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories
so the legal answer is "definitely not".  The technical
answer is more a matter of opinion.  In my case, I consider
the traditional set of user-mode utilities to be an essential
part of UNIX and would not buy a UNIX system where these are
all different or missing.