editors

LARRY at JPL-VLSI.ARPA LARRY at JPL-VLSI.ARPA
Fri Aug 24 06:49:00 AEST 1984

From:  Larry Carroll <LARRY at JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

My experience supports Charles (HEDRICK at RUTGERS) comments.  At my last
place of employment we used the Gosling EMACS in several ways--all of
them fairly easy to set up with the Mock LISP and key-binding features
of EMACS.

Several people were Wordstar freaks and one project mandated EDT.  We set
up EMACS to look like either of them, depending on the login command file
of the respective user.  Within a few months both sets of users had begun
to use features in EMACS which were not in their subset.  Especially popular
were the regular-expression FIND/REPLACE commands and the keyboard macro
facility.

The extensibility of EMACS has also been used in an Ada class, where its
teacher set up EMACS to recognize Ada keywords and automatically supply
the remaining tokens.  It would also prompt for the variable parts of
each command.  When I left the C programmers had begun to adapt the Ada
keyword recognizer to C.  One of them had set up her login file so she
could have EMACS spawn a subprocess to compile and link her programs
in the background while she continued to use EMACS, then notify her when

The only problem I noticed with Gosling's EMACS was the long time it took
to come up--10 seconds with the VAX moderately loaded.  I understand the
version of EMACS sold by CCA (in Cambridge, Mass) is somewhat faster.
Occasionally I would also notice an extension that was slow.  Those I
looked into hadn't made good use of the compiled primitive commands and
were fairly easy to speed up.

Currently I've got a proposal in here at JPL to buy EMACS for my group's
VAX.  After getting used to the power and ease of use of EMACS I feel
crippled using other editors.
					Larry @ JPL-VLSI
------