WANTED:SYS V tar to read Berkeley tar

guy at rlgvax.UUCP guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Aug 7 13:00:49 AEST 1984

Well, I'm not yet sure Berkeley's 4.2BSD "tar" is incompatible.  Berkeley
writes "tar" tape entries for directories, as well as files ("tar" should
have done that in the first place), but those entries merely cause "tar"s
not equipped to handle them to complain about being unable to create
"./src/foobar/include/" and continue reading in the non-directory entries.
The "-o" option in the Berkeley "tar" causes those entries not to be written.
I've sent "tar" files from 4.2BSD systems to System III systems (not tapes,
admittedly - the "straight" System III systems we have are little boxes with
no 9-track tape) and read them with no problem.  Let's not cry wolf.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy