Venix86 Users Group News

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 07:21:37 AEST 1984

In article <4700 at utzoo.UUCP> henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Well, that's better than Berkeley usually does.  You won't even find
>comments in the source to indicate that the original vtroff software
>came from U of Toronto.  Which is an out-and-out violation of U of T's
>software licence, which requires credit in all re-use.
>--
>				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry

This is probably my fault.  I wrote the Berkeley Font Catalog and did
a lot of the font work.  I probably should have credited Toronto as the
source of the original software and the Hershey fonts.  (I think in turn
the fonts came from the USA dept of something or other.)

What happened is that I never saw a license from Toronto for that stuff,
and until I read this netnews article I didn't know such a license existed.
I was not the original recipient of the stuff from Toronto - I'm not sure
who was.

In any case, it just never occurred to me to insert an acknowledgement to
Toronto, or to MIT and Stanford from whence most of the rest of the fonts
came.  Things were different back then, you just passed software around
and didn't worry too much about where it came from.

So I hereby publicly apologise to the University of Toronto for not
crediting them as the original source of the vtroff software.

	Mark Horton