LaserJet printercap for BSD 4.2? (8 bits + flow control)

Dave Martindale dmmartindale at watcgl.UUCP
Mon Dec 3 19:12:27 AEST 1984

> > The problem is fundamental: if you
> > receive an XON or XOFF, how do you decide if it is part of the data or
> > a flow control instruction from the other machine?  You just cannot
> > transmit flow-control instructions along with all-256-codes-valid data
> > on the same wire without some sort of additional encoding being done.
>
> Give me a break.  What does processing control-S and control-Q have to
> do with whether the incoming character is and-ed with 0177?  Why cant
> I have a mode that gives me all eight bits and XON and XOFF processing.
> This would be 254 bits processed instead of the normal 126 bits that you
> get with LITOUT or RAW off.

Sure you can do this, with a bit of hacking of the tty driver.
What's it useful for?  Anything I've ever seen that wanted to transmit
8-bit ASCII wanted to be able to send all 256 codes, not restrict itself
to 254.