RatFor on the IBM PC/AT

Tom Kessler tomk at ur-laser.uucp
Sun Dec 30 03:53:28 AEST 1984

>I've a question of my own about Unix/Xenix on the AT.  Benchmarks have
>shown only a 2-3 times speed advantage of the AT over the PC.  If you use
>a multi-user OS, doesn't the overhead pretty much eat up that advantage,
>giving you in effect only PC capability?

I've been told by people who have used Unix/Xenix on the AT (and seen the source) that the version of Xenix on the AT is just the 8086 version of Xenix
with the 8286 in the AT running in 8086 compatibility mode with a few minor
improvements.
Hence it is not very surprising that the AT shows only a 2-3 times increase.
One friend of mine said "You mean you're going to give this to
paying customers?" when he first saw the Xenix 8286 Kernel.

When you are running multiuser your probably better off using a PC.