can vi/ex source beginning of text on startup?

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Wed Dec 12 07:36:40 AEST 1984

I'm having a problem with .exrc and EXINIT on a Plexus P/35.  I generally
use a standard set of :set's to make C programming easier, and on ncoast!'s
vi, they work well.  But on the plexus, which has the same version (v2.13)
of vi, any attempt to place a :set in .exrc or $EXINIT will produce
a _N_o_ _t_e_x_t_ _i_n_ _b_u_f_f_e_r
message.  Does anyone know why this might be?  Does the Microsoft-hacked
ex/vi have a smarter $EXINIT handler?  Or am I doing something wrong?

./.exrc
set autoindent shiftwidth=4 showmatch autowrite

--bsa
(Just had a thought:  MS ex/vi takes that.  Maybe (from net examples)
the plexus needs a colon in front?  But I put one there in $RNINIT...)
--
  Brandon Allbery @ decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa (..ncoast!tdi1!bsa business)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131   (216) 524-1416