PC Unix, hacking the 64K limitation

HFISCHER at USC-ECLB.ARPA HFISCHER at USC-ECLB.ARPA
Mon Feb 13 17:28:00 AEST 1984

Mike,

My desire was to get Ada compilers running under PC's Unix.  I know
of three efforts which are relevant:  Irvine Computer Science,
who claims to need over 64K of user-I space but not D space,
University of York, (no knowledge about their needs), and
Alsys West (Ichbiah's Boston startup) who claims to need over 64K of
user-D space but not I space.  (AJPO says both York and Alsys have
formally indicated intent to validate this year;  Irvine says me too.)

I would accept some form of hack which killed swapping and multiprocessing
for a while (e.g., during compiling) in turn for finding and siezing
lots of (either) user I or user D space.  As we used to do on the
good ol' 360's, you can reload bases (ES) to your heart's content if you
know that your memory is not being swapped or physically moved about.

I agree that another processor would've been better.  Unfortunately,
corporate america has bought IBM's marketing pitch, and the likes
of my and similar companies have so many PC's in house and on order that
to ask for something else is to not be serious.  We need standardization
and transportability, and the PC and Unix  to some vague degree give
us that.

So, back to my question, are there folks who have tried this sort of hack,
knowing full well that technology is capable of giving us "better"
solutions, but nontheless, ...

   Herm Fischer
-------