8th edition Unix(tm)

gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Feb 7 06:10:14 AEST 1984

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at brl-vld>

"8th Edition UNIX" is also known as "Research Version 8" and is what
the Bell Labs computer science research folks have.  You didn't really
expect them to stop evolving UNIX, did you?

The official AT&T UNIX product is UNIX System V, and I am sure they do
not want to support more than one version of UNIX.  I believe and hope
that the more useful innovations from Research Version 8 and elsewhere
will appear in AT&T UNIX somewhere down the pike (pun not intended).

I personally do not have access to Research Version 8; I think one or
two universities may have a copy.  My understanding is that its kernel
evolved from the 4.1BSD kernel and its user utilities are rationalized,
without all the typical Berkeley cruft (e.g. "cat -v").  If this
description is not correct, presumably someone will further respond.