Pocket Guide to Unix - (nf)

pedz at smu.UUCP pedz at smu.UUCP
Fri Jan 27 14:01:20 AEST 1984

#N:smu:18500003:000:1632
smu!pedz    Jan 25 23:33:00 1984

Pocket Guide to Unix

I have been recently introduced to Unix and have found the need for
what I would call a pocket guide.  Sure the MAN facility is neat but
is a bit arkward at times.  What I have in mind is a thin "pocket"
size booklet with selected portions of the UNIX documentation. I have
not been able to find such a booklet already in print so I wanted to
check out the possibilities of printing one myself.

I have located a printing company who has the apropriate equipment to
print the booklet.  I am intending on using very thin paper like what
is in dictionaries.  Using this paper I can get 200 sheets (400 pages)
into a half inch booklet. I am intending on making the page size about
4" x 5". I may decied to use less than 200 sheets.  Then I intend to
bind it into a reasonable looking booklet.  I plan on getting the
artwork off of an imagen printer.

There are two fundamental questions which I need to ask.  First, is
there any interest from others out on the network for such a book?
If so do you have any suggestions as to which parts of the Unix
documentation to put into it?  How much would you be willing to pay
for it?

The other question is "is any of this legal?"  I have been told by
unreliable sources that there are no copyright notices on the Unix
documentation.  I have not seen any but that is not saying much.  Also
is there any way that I may get permission from the apropriate people
to make it legal?

I would appreciate any responses to this that you may have.  Also, I
would greatly appreciate it if someone would put this message over
on some of the other networks.

pedz
parsec!smu!pedz