Area-code as uucp domains-- better to use states.

Mark Brader ntt at dciem.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 03:13:45 AEST 1984

Good idea.  But area codes tend to be unique only within countries
(North America counts as one country here).  So there has to be
another convention for the overseas sites.  A logical one would be
the country name, truncated or abbreviated to 2-6 characters.
For instance, uk, france, nether.

But then if we're using geographic names in Europe, why not use them
in North America?  I refer to STATES and PROVINCES.  They are better
known than area codes and they have unique abbreviations of 2 letters.
(How legitimate the 2-letter abbreviations are in the case of Canadian
provinces is questionable, but there is an established set which does
not conflict with the state abbreviations.)

Mark Brader
Shall we say... {IL/ihnp4, NH/decvax, MA/linus, ...} !ON/utzoo!ON/dciem!ntt
Hmph, maybe a default is needed so that the null domain means a backbone site.