UNIX History

jimjwf at mhtsa.UUCP jimjwf at mhtsa.UUCP
Sat Jan 14 11:53:49 AEST 1984

CB UNIX was not derived from MERT but grew out of the internal
distributions from the USG (generic 1,2 and 3) (yes thats a new set
of numbers, not to be confused with any of the other UNIX numbering
conventions). The USG 3 system had some of the real time things that
CB wanted and they were incorporated into CB-UNIX. One of the reasons
that UNIX developed quickly and MERT did not was the support/feedback
from the CB Labs. They had some sharp people and a good exchange with
the USG when UNIX was an infant, but grew to love their version of UNIX
and did not swing their applications to MERT/UNIX-RT. I suspect that if
they had, RT might have been a good product but with only a few customers
and an over-burdened support staff RT was put on the shelf.

Any old USGer's care to add to this.

I hope some one is collecting all of this UNIX folklore and plans to
print it paperback.

Jim Farrell
AT&T Bell Labs