Help large block DUMPs - (nf)

andree at uokvax.UUCP andree at uokvax.UUCP
Sat Jan 21 14:14:14 AEST 1984

#N:uokvax:6100013:000:1436
uokvax!andree    Jan 19 23:41:00 1984

My lone ra81 just head crashed the first week I had it. I was still
experimenting with backups [I have a tu80, and it can be put into streaming
mode under certaing conditions. Doing so lets me write a 2400' tape in
5-10 minutes. This is worthwhile!]

The only backup I had at the time (I'd only had the system for 2 days)
was built by:

	# dump to spare file system
	dump 0unf /dev/rra0f /dev/rra0g
	# move to tape, count copied from dd with divide by 10 & round up.
	dd if=/dev/rra0f of=/dev/mt0 bs=10b count=*

This worked like a charm, the tu80 went streaming, and I was happy. I went
back to tweaking the system. Later that day, the head crashed. After DEC
gave me a new HDA, I tried to restore things. It never worked. Chronicles:

	1. restor off the tape - can't read the tape. Assume bad block size.
	2. dd back to raw device, try to restor from there. Asks for second
		volume !?!
	3. dd to regular file and try again. Same result.
	4. Run dumpdir and get a list of files. Works great on step 3 files.
	5. Try retrieving individual files. Get 1 out of 2 dozen or so.
	6. Surrender. Start from scratch.

Could somebody out there give me pointers on how to use dump (I need the
multi-volume backups) to get ~5k blocks?

Note that the place I work for is small, and bought all the computer
we could afford (we need a cray, and had to settle for a 750), so buying
more hardware (like a tu78) is out of the question.

	Thanx,
	<mike