4.1 bsd help needed

Gregory Muth gam at tektronix.UUCP
Wed Jan 11 21:22:24 AEST 1984

     I am working on a downtime accounting system that is to run
on VAXes under both VMS and UNIX.  For portability purposes, >90%
of it was written in C, with the rest written in the command lang-
uage, DCL and Csh, repsectively.

     What I need to know is how 4.1bsd UNIX handles shutdowns,
crashes, and boots, with regard to the information that appears in
/usr/adm/shutdownlog, and what explicit data with regard to the na-
ture of a crash can be gleaned from this file.  Is there any other
system generated data regarding downtime?

     I would appreciate ANY information related to this this topic,
but would GREATLY appreciate the names or authors of any documenta-
tion or other reference material.  I browsed through volumes 1, 2a,
2b, and 3 of our local UNIX manuals, and found nothing of any value.
If I have overlooked something, please let me know.

PLEASE respond by MAIL to ..!decvax!tektronix!gam [UUCP]
			  gam!tektronix at rand-relay [ARPA]

MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!