Best way to spend $30K

sbq at verdix.UUCP sbq at verdix.UUCP
Wed Jan 11 04:22:21 AEST 1984

[]
My brother is an instructor an a small Liberal Arts College in Kansas.
He has been given a budget of $30K - $35K to purchase as much computer
power as possible.  These systems are to support 1st and 2nd year CS
students and, also, the needs of other departments (e.g., word
processing, statistical packages for social sciences).  He really wants
to buy a Unix system and is looking at buying a couple of lower priced
micro systems (68K, 16K, or 286 based) running a version of Unix.

I would appreciate any recommendations, both what to get and what to
avoid.  I would especially be interested in a recommendation (or
condemnation) from someone who has purchased and used a system.  I will
pass the information on to my brother and summarize to the net if
enough interest is shown.

Information on university discounts (I assume these apply to colleges)
would be helpful also.  Does anyone know what ATT is charging a
university for a Unix System 5 source license now?

Sam Quiring

{tektronix!ogcvax allegra!ogcvax decwrl!sequent inteloa} !verdix!sbq
sbq.oregon-grad at rand-relay