Area-code as uucp domains

glc at akgua.UUCP glc at akgua.UUCP
Sun Jan 29 17:27:30 AEST 1984

  While I find much merit in the proposals for area-code domains,
I might raise a point...how many people in the East know the
area-code for Anaheim, Calif?  There are currently 9 area codes
in California and always the possibility of one of them splitting
into two.

  Those who are more familiar with the various newsgroups will
look in net.news.map for the site they wish to contact. The
area-code will usually be found there.  But for the less
experienced users, or those who only know "Naperville is in
Illinois, but I don't know what part!" there is still a problem.

  I don't say that using the state/provence/country name is the
best solution.  And it is quite possible that with most netnews
users putting their area-code in their signatures, a responder
would soon adapt to the idea of using it for the uucp domain.  I
would like to invite a bit more discussion from the standpoint of
the naive users on such a proposal.  Remember, more and more of
them keep popping up on the net.  Whatever domain scheme is
finally adopted needs to be simple enough in its usage for them
to grasp.

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland  (...{ihnp4|mhux?|clyde}!akgua!glc)
AT&T Technologies/Bell Laboratories ... Atlanta, Ga
(404) 447-3909 ...  Cornet 583-3909