Question on make

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Mon Jul 2 09:46:27 AEST 1984

> but I want it to read instead something like:
>
> pgm: file.a
> 	cc file.a -o pgm
> where x.o, y.o and z.o are in the archive file.a .

It looks like this isn't really a make question, but a cc/ld question.
If, say, x.o is first in file.a, and contains the symbol _main, then it
load properly.  To make sure that a particular file is included from the
library, you can use the -u flag of ld.  Pick a symbol which is defined
in x.o, and add '-u _symbol' to the beginning of your cc line:

cc -u _x_symbol -u _y_symbol -u _z_symbol file.a -o pgm

=Spencer