more 4.2 license madness.

WMartin at SIMTEL20.ARPA WMartin at SIMTEL20.ARPA
Wed Jul 4 00:58:09 AEST 1984

From:  "William G. Martin" <WMartin at SIMTEL20.ARPA>

About UCB not negotiating and government purchases of licenses: The
earlier posting may be based on old info, or a situation I am unfamiliar
with. We (an Army activity) have a 4.2 BSD license for host ALMSA-1.
There was extensive negotiation and thousands of dollars worth of
time expended on this $600 procurement, before our procuring activity's
lawyers and UCB's lawyers finally agreed. It took well over a year. We
had started out to buy 4.1 BSD, but got 4.2 BSD eventually, as it had
come out in the meantime. I was (luckily) not involved directly with the
action, but received status reports on it from time to time. It became
a painful standing joke around here for quite a while.

Will Martin
USArmy DARCOM ALMSA, St. Louis, MO
-------