From:, Mail, and sendmail

dave at uwvax.ARPA dave at uwvax.ARPA
Fri Jul 13 11:37:34 AEST 1984

> We deal with it by using path aliasing and sending mail to "joeblow at foo.UUCP".

Unfortunately, not everyone uses path aliasing either (the uw for one).
Not that we wouldn't like to, its just that we never got the software.

> "Reply-to:" was, I believe, intended for use with messages sent to
> distribution lists, so the whole list wouldn't see the replies, so it isn't
> a solution to the problem.  Besides, the non-"sendmail" sites aren't likely
> to properly update "Reply-to:" if they don't update "From:".

I sit corrected here.

Another plan of attack:  uucp sites *should* update the UN*X 'From ' line
correctly.  A BSD site will probably also be running rmail (the 4.2 rmail
is even portable to 2.9) and will reconstruct a 'correct' 'From ' line from
those contained in the header.  It could easily be modified to fix the 'From:'
line also.  Obviously, if some site messes up the 'From ' line, there isn't
much hope here either.  A non-BSD site just takes the address in the 'From '
line and replies to this address, doesn't it (assuming the site runs some
kind of UN*X)?  This should also get the reply to the right place.
--
Dave Cohrs @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!dave
dave at wisc-rsch.arpa