a stupid question

mark at MARYLAND.ARPA mark at MARYLAND.ARPA
Thu Jul 26 15:32:31 AEST 1984

From:      Mark Weiser <mark at MARYLAND.ARPA>

	... is it like the old Tops-10 system, where
	I do an "expand core" call, which allocates everything up to the address
	I specify?

yes.	sbrk().

	  ^T -

yes.  We have a nice version of this at Maryland running on our Vax Unix,
which has user settalbe options for customizing what YOU would like to
see at ^T time.  Watch for a pyramid version soon on this list.

	  SET ADDRESS-BREAK nnn, break-type -

no.

	  INFO FILE-STATUS - show all open jfn's (fd's), what file they are
		open on and the current byte position

Not a standard command, but not that hard to write.  Looks like a good idea.

	  INFO FORK-STATUS - Gives data similar to ^T, but for all processes
		(jobs) under the current EXEC (shell).

ps u

	  INFO MEMORY - show memory structure of currently selected process

no.

	  INFO PSI - for currently selected process, shows what interrupts are
		enabled, what are pending, and locations of various interrupt
		vectors.

no.

	  INFO VERSION - for currently selected process, shows certain
		identifying information which is built into the module at
		compile-time.  It used to be that this was a single version
		number, for the whole program, but now each module has its own
		"program data vector", from which this gives the module name and
		version number.

Yes.  Unix has two verison control systems, SCCS and RCS.  Both supply this feature.