Least We Forget: MULTICS

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Tue Jul 31 05:36:27 AEST 1984

> The idea of an improved, standardized error message function is
> a good one.  Various implementations have appeared on USENIX
> tapes in the past.  The problem is not so much in designing
> something more generally useful than perror(), but in getting
> universal acceptance of it....

There is one possibility which might become a de facto standard if
enough people use it:  error() from Kernighan&Pike.  We're using it
here for everything new we do, and gradually retrofitting it (and a
non-exiting version called "warning") into old programs.

In general, one could do a lot worse than to open up Kernighan&Pike
and start typing things in.  K&P may be the closest look at Version 8
that we'll ever get...
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology