Least We Forget: Multics

Barry Margolin barmar at mit-eddie.UUCP
Tue Jul 10 13:18:48 AEST 1984

Hey, stop talking like Multics* is dead!  There are some of us who still
believe in it.  Me, I work for Honeywell doing Multics systems
programming.  It was the first *real* computer I had ever used; I
learned computing on a PDP-8 in HS, and then hung around the Radio Shack
playing with Trash-80's for a while.  When I came to MIT I learned what
a computer is supposed to do.

I might consider Multics dead when everyone's desktop Unix(tm) has
demand-paging, a tera-word per process segmented virtual memory
file-system, dynamic linking, and hardware support for three orthogonal
access control mechanisms.  Yes, Unix has a number of important features
that Multics lacks.  You might be interested to know that I don't
consider pipes to be one of them; pipes are a kludge to get around the
fact that dynamic linking was hard to implement, so instead of making it
easy to call lots of subroutines, you start up a process and read its
output.

*Multics is a registered trademark of Honeywell Information Systems.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar at MIT-Multics