From:, Mail, and sendmail

pag at hao.UUCP pag at hao.UUCP
Sat Jul 14 13:16:08 AEST 1984

uwvax!dave:
> Another plan of attack:  uucp sites *should* update the UN*X 'From ' line
> correctly.  A BSD site will probably also be running rmail (the 4.2 rmail
> is even portable to 2.9) and will reconstruct a 'correct' 'From ' line from
> those contained in the header.  It could easily be modified to fix the 'From:'
> line also.  Obviously, if some site messes up the 'From ' line, there isn't
> much hope here either.  A non-BSD site just takes the address in the 'From '
> line and replies to this address, doesn't it (assuming the site runs some
> kind of UN*X)?  This should also get the reply to the right place.

The problem, Dave, is NOT sites messing up the "From " line, but rather
Berkeley Mail uses the "From: " line in preference to it (since "From: "
complies with RFC822, and "From " does not).  Non sendmail sites which
don't update "From: " cause it to become incorrect.  I posted a hack to
Berkeley Mail for this a few weeks ago, if anyone still has it online.
If not, I can resurrect it.

--peter gross
hao!pag