Wanted: WP software to run under UNIX (v7 with termcap)

Dave Sherman dave at utcsrgv.UUCP
Tue Jun 19 05:00:17 AEST 1984

The Law Society of Upper Canada is planning on upgrading their obsolete
IBM word processing equipment, and has been looking at 3 Displaywriters
(with two printers) for about $35,000 Canadian.

Our CAI project will shortly be getting a Perkin-Elmer 3220 running
"Edition VII Workbench", which is v7 with a few "Berkeley enhancements"
such as vi and termcap. This system will have significant excess
processing power for at least some period of time and possibly indefinitely.

Is there a decent word processing package which will run under this
system, which would permit us to hook up terminals at $1,000 each to
the Perkin-Elmer rather than buying the Displaywriters? (I suspect
that shoving vi and nroff down the throats of people used to real WP
would be a mistake :-) Something which involves relabelling keycaps on
a standard terminal such as a VT-100 would be fine.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave