Little question on "cat"

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Wed Jun 27 15:38:58 AEST 1984

> You could add a flag to cat (maybe -n if it is not already used) to
> get the names of the argument files printed,

Unfortunately, in 4.1BSD "cat -n" *is* already used - it does line numbering.
As does the "nl" command in USG UNIX - with more options than you can shake
a stick at, if that's your idea of a good time (apologies to Julius Marx);
anybody actually used all the logical page etc. stuff therein?  As does, for
that matter, the "-n" option to the "pr" command in USG UNIX.  I guess they
*do* stand for "CATchall" and "Put everything heRe"...

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy