How do Unix and VMS compare?

cbspt002 at abnjh.UUCP cbspt002 at abnjh.UUCP
Mon Jun 18 10:04:19 AEST 1984

>How many VMS ports to other CPUs/architectures compared to Unix
>ports?

Two (VAX and MicroVAX I).  By the fall the answer will be four (add
VAX 11/790 and MicroVAX II).  While this doesn't compare to the number of
so-called Unix 'ports' (many of which have compatibility problems),
I can bet my life that anything that runs on one VAX/VMS system will
run unaltered on any other (without a recompile, even).  This is not my
experience with Unix, nor should such an expectation be rational, since
an operating system, to be effective (*fast*, reliable, make full use of the
hardware, etc.) must be closely knit to the hardware.

And VMS has EDT.