UNIX Reference Materials --- Product Announcement By SSC

scw at cepu.UUCP scw at cepu.UUCP
Fri Mar 2 23:33:47 AEST 1984

   >Personally, I get enough junk mail from lots of random sources that
   >I never gave my permission to sell my name for, that I don't mind
   >getting junk mail based on the Usenet directory.

Ditto, I think.

   >I do want to emphasize that the purpose of the Usenet directory
   >is not for mailing lists ... be complete.

HEAR HEAR!

   >Obviously, SSC or any other generator of junk mail is obligated to
   >remove anybody [...] we are not obligated to help them by marking
   >unwilling junk mail recipients in the master list.  (However, if there
   >is sentiment that such marks would be of overall benefit to Usenet,
   >we may consider it.)

I don't think that it's worth your effort.

   >What I'd like to know is: what is the sentiment
   >of Usenet on this issue - especially the netnews contacts to whom
   >such mail is directed (thus I've added net.news.adm to this list)?
   >Do you object to the Usenet directory (which is currently put into
   >the public domain each month) being used for product mailing lists?

Somehow I think that some of the employers on the net won't like it.
especially headhunters.

   >What about other things (headhunters come to mind)?  Should we
   >include some kind of policy statement in the cover letter that
   >restricts the uses it can be put to?  Would it do any good?

I think that it'd be a real good idea to note that the net (is not for)
/(should not be used for) comercial purposes.  I suspect that a firm
statment that violators will be removed from the net, assuming that we
can/will do so (dropping their feed?) may do the trick.

How about a news group for product announcments and adverts (net.adds
or net.madison_ave)?  That is a portion of the net that is SPECIFICLY
for comercial purposes.

Any discussion on this?
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcsvax!bmcg}!cepu!scw