abnjh.490 Tapes on Unix

mbs at ecsvax.UUCP mbs at ecsvax.UUCP
Thu Mar 8 10:29:09 AEST 1984

<>
Concerning all of the options that you want for tapes; it sounds like what
you are describing is the setup available under EXEC-8 from Sperry-Univac,
and of all the mainframes I've used, they are the only ones that I know of
that allow all that crap. Yes, crap, because even though all that stuff
looks real nice, it becomes a real pain to use.....I would pesonally rather
do it all under programmatic control myself, AND make all those write's
to the operator----since then you know *exactly* what's going own. I'd say
NO, to all that stuff in Unix.

EXEC-8 is the operating system currently available for Sperry-Univac's 1100
series of mainframes, and is trademarked by them.
Unix is a trademark of AT&T/Bell Labs

   --- Michael Smith
       ECU Comptuting & Information Systems
       Greenville, NC 27834
       {akgua!mcnc, decvax!mcnc, ittvax!ittr}!ecsvax!mbs
The opinions described above are my opinions only and do not desribe the
official opinion of the ECU Computing & Information Systems.