Improving C - (nf)

davy at ecn-ee.UUCP davy at ecn-ee.UUCP
Tue Mar 6 12:21:36 AEST 1984

#R:sri-arpa:-1688400:ecn-ee:17100003:000:641
ecn-ee!davy    Mar  5 09:08:00 1984

I would like to clarify my previous posting on "Improving C" --

	I didn't mean to say that I thought run-time checks were lousy
as a rule.  As a matter of fact, I'm all for them.  My point was that
this stuff DOES NOT belong in the language, it belongs in the compiler.
I would love to have a C compiler with a flag to turn on array bounds
checking (ala the f77 compiler), and other neato debugging stuff.  But
I don't think it should be part of the language, as it is with Pascal.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far, but please, don't flame at me
for this specific point any more.

--Dave Curry
decvax!pur-ee!davy
eevax.davy at purdue