Dumb SCCS query--feel free to tap 'n'

ado at elsie.UUCP ado at elsie.UUCP
Thu Mar 15 07:32:04 AEST 1984

Suppose I've got a directory named "SCCS" full of "s.*" files.  Suppose one of
them is named "s.seek.c".  Suppose further that I've replaced "seek" with
"lseek" in my project.  Now I want to be able to retrieve things in their state
as of a certain date or revision, so I want to keep the "s.seek.c" file around.
However, I normally want to be able to do a "get SCCS" and avoid having "seek.c"
created.  (I know that by establishing a "ceiling" value I can avoid having
"seek.c" created when I do a "get -e SCCS".)  (I also know that I could just
arrange to create an empty "seek.c".  If I do, "get" gives a "No id keywords"
warning.  If I leave id keywords in "seek.c", "print *.c" eats extra paper.)

So far, all I can figure to do is create a directory named "SCCSOLD", move
the "s.seek.c" file there, use the command "get SCCS" normally, and  use
the command "get -rx.y SCCS SCCSOLD" when I want to get "old" stuff.

What's a better way to do things?  Tap that 'r' key and reply by mail if you
know.  Feel free to tell me that it's easy with KornSCCS; note, though, that we
have regulation SCCS for now.
--
The "unix" in "net.unix" is a Bell Labs trademark.  (I know you're tired of this
note.  I'm ready to forego it.  If you have an in with an AT&T lawyer. . .)