vi '_' command

G.TOMASEVICH grt at hocda.UUCP
Fri Mar 23 04:54:17 AEST 1984

Subject: Re: vi '_' command
This is to Ed Laws; my mail attempt failed again, as usual.

Those are interesting comments.  I have somewhat different opinions on
some of them:
1. ^X is the ASCII cancel code, and I use is as my kill-line character.  I do
   not want to see it used for anything else.
2. !wq does not let me quit if there are any more files.  I dunno about yours.
3. The arrow keys on HP terminals do things to 'vi' that I have not seen
   documented.  On the HP 2647A, they send escape sequences.  On that
   terminal, 'vi' sends "\033&s1A" to allow it to read those keys.  It then
   synthesizes a move command; try turning on display functions if your
   terminal has it.  ESC must have a timeout so 'vi' can tell whether you
   typed ESC or one of those arrow keys.
4. On some terminals, ^\ is the UNIX quit signal, which causes a core dump
   if not caught.
5. Your suggestion on wrapscan telling one it wrapped around is a good idea.
   I never use wrapscan, because I hate having an unannounced wraparound.

	George Tomasevich, AT&T Bell Laboratories