Improving C

Ed Nather nather at utastro.UUCP
Fri Mar 16 09:29:03 AEST 1984

[]
	From:  Travis Lee Winfrey <Us.Travis%cu20b at BRL-VGR.ARPA>

	I personally would kill for built-in type checking and array
	bounds checking during the debugging phase of my programs.
	They could be removed after the program reached production quality....

	Travis
	-------

If I may paraphrase a point made in "Software Tools" by K & P (I can't find
the exact wording):  This is much like wearing a parachute while you are in
pilot's training on the ground, then discarding it when you go aloft.  If the
checking is needed for debugging, it is almost certainly needed for what is
sometimes called "malicious input."

--

                                       Ed Nather
                                       ihnp4!{ut-sally,kpno}!utastro!nather