Improving C

Tim Maroney tim at unc.UUCP
Sun Mar 18 05:29:39 AEST 1984

I disagree that it is a mistake to remove array bounds checking and such
after debugging is complete.  If you have run a program on general test data
(including anomalous data) and never gotten the error, then you may fairly
safely assume that the error will not happen on any input data.  It would be
a mistake to sacrifice run-time efficiency for a check on an impossible (or
at least VERY improbable) error.

Of course, you'd better make sure that your test data really is "general".
--
Tim Maroney, The Censored Hacker
mcnc!unc!tim (USENET), tim.unc at csnet-relay (ARPA)

All opinions expressed herein are completely my own, so don't go assuming
that anyone else at UNC feels the same way.