Where's the (c) on unix?

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Fri Mar 23 16:13:01 AEST 1984

The source to UNIX is not copyrighted.   It is, however, covered
by your UNIX license, which I suggest you read before you start
making public distributions of UNIX source code.  Basically, the
license (which SDC has signed, or you would not have a copy of UNIX)
says that the entire distribution is proprietary to Bell Labs, and
you may not disclose it to anyone who does not have a similar UNIX
license.  If you, as an employee of SDC, choose to publish (by posting
to Usenet) the source to UNIX, then SDC has violated their UNIX license,
and I would expect one dilly of a lawsuit by AT&T against SDC.  No doubt
SDC would not take kindly to your position in this matter.  In other
words, don't do it.