4.1bsd accounting question

gillam%aerospace at sri-unix.UUCP gillam%aerospace at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 01:14:32 AEST 1984

From:            April Gillam <gillam at aerospace>

We're running 4.1bsd here and I've run into some accounting problems.

I run the sa command every 12 hours, at 6AM & 6 PM and move the summary usracct
file to another file. I've added an option to sa to be able to read the
usracct file exclusively, since we are reporting on the system usage per
user. (No, we're not playing Big Brother, just trying to see how & who uses
the system to enhance support thereof.)

Now here's the problem. I find that the total cpu time(system + user) is
often greater than 720 minutes. Shouldn't the total time be less than or
equal to the time period considered?

If anyone sees where the problem is please let me know. Thanks for the
help.
		April (gillam at aerospace)