Neophyte awk question(s)

liberte at uiucdcs.UUCP liberte at uiucdcs.UUCP
Tue Sep 25 16:32:00 AEST 1984

I discovered this awk-wardness a while ago and reported a bug fix
in net.bugs.4bsd to allow awk programs to use \nnn as well as
\f \b \r \n and \\ in all strings or character literals.  The problem
isnt in printf as it would seem since translation to the corresponding
ascii code is done during compilation of the strings, not during output.
I will resend my fix to whoever is interested.

One way to get around the problem without modifying `awk` is to
use something like:  printf "%c", 1.  However, this is often awkward.

Daniel LaLiberte          (ihnp4!uiucdcs!liberte)
U of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Computer Science
{limit your limits;  extend your extensions?}