Oct. UNIX BSTJ - A Followup

ras at rayssd.UUCP ras at rayssd.UUCP
Fri Apr 12 07:03:40 AEST 1985

A few months ago there was a big discussion on the Net about the
price of the Special Edition of the Bell Systems Technical Journal,
and how the back-order price was more than $24.00, whereas the
yearly susbscription fee was only $34.00.  Many people were irate,
and grumbled about it.

A user at our facility, (formerly the manager of our Technical Info
Library), read our subscription copy, wanted more, and soon found out
about the price difference.  He then called the Director of AT&T
Computer Software Division, (O'Shea?), and asked about the wisdom of
penalizing those that were interested in an AT&T product.  The
secretary there said the message would be forwarded, and he pretty much
forgot about it.

Today, to our surprise, a letter arrived from O. L. Wilson, Sales and
Marketing Manager at AT&T Technology Systems, saying:

"Thank you for brining the disparity in pricing for the special issue ...
 ... As a result of your inquiry, we are reducing the price to $17.00
per copy, with a volume discout of 30 percent.

Again, thank you for alerting me to the problem.  Because of your
help, I hope you will accept the enclosed 6 colies of the special
issue, courtesy of AT&T. ...".

Anyway, you may want to re-investigate the pricing if you really
were interested in getting this journal. I'm sort of amazed...
--

Ralph Shaw,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!ras
Raytheon Co,	 Submarine Signal Division., Portsmouth, RI 02871