use of net.sources (rebuttal of large postings flame)

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Mon Apr 1 13:00:14 AEST 1985

>From: bill at persci.UUCP

[Quote of --Lauren--'s article on use of net.sources]
>I quite disagree. It's all fine and dandy for those with ARPA access to
>smugly dictate that item x may be had by logging into some system and
>transferring with 'ftp', but there are many of us out there who DON'T
>have ARPA access. Frankly, one of the justifications my (for profit!)
>employer has for supporting the net is the useful (and over 100K!) utilities
>that are posted on it. If the only things passed over the net were the type
>of blather I see in most newsgroups, we wouldn't bother!
>Also, a lot of that software reaches companies that aren't even on the
>usenet. My former employer is using LOADCONTROL, SCAME, and VC, all acquired
>from other companies on the net. Software available 'by just sending a tape'
>won't get distributed anywhere near as widely.
>I am sure Lauren would not be so quick to condemn these postings if he didn't
>have ARPA access. It's ALWAYS easier to deny the next guy something when you
>don't have to give up anything at all!

But we have our own version of ftp.  It is called uucp.  Y'know?
that thing that delivers the news to us?  It transfers files don't it?

I agree with --Lauren--.  For large postings, they should be available
via "anonymous uucp" much like the OKstate kermit setup.  (And thank
you OKstate for doing it too!)

The only problem I see is distributing it to overseas sites.  Something
will have to be worked out.  Like secondary repositories in europe and
asia or some such.  But thats a detail.

Any other comments?

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david<@ANL-MCS> or david%ukma.uucp at anl-mcs.arpa
---        Or even anlams!ukma!david at ucbvax.arpa
--- UUCP-> {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!david
---        cbosgd!ukma!david

	"The home of poly-unsaturated thinking".