more on echo command

H.MORRIS hom at houxm.UUCP
Sat Apr 13 05:01:52 AEST 1985

While on the topic of "echo", it is remarkably hard to have a background
process output just a bell character with no carriage return (to signal
that it is done, say, while I am in a vi session).  I had been using a
'C' routine for this purpose, and finally discovered that I could say:
	echo "^G\c"
only to find out it does not work with UCB 4.2.
	I use this in a package which is shipped to various machines
and would like to have one less thing requiring compilation.